The blue of the sea, the green of Parnon and the red of the impressive vertical rocks meet in Leonidion.
Leonidio or Agieliidi, in the Tsakonian dialect, is a town and capital of the Municipality of Southern Kynouria. It was named after the church of St. Leonidis, which was built on its beach. Leonidion spreads in the fertile valley of Dafnona, while the imposing and impressive red rocks rise above it.
Land of Tsakonia and Tsakones, the immediate descendants of the Dorians described in Byzantine texts as elite bodyguards, the impressive Leonidion has a long history.
Leonidion is a traditional settlement. Typical examples of Tsakonian architecture are the downtown market, with its main street and many beautiful mansions scattered throughout the city, some of which are tower-like. These houses are impressive and have been preserved. They were built before 1800, but there are buildings of the neoclassical style of the mid-19th century.
In Leonidion today, three of the most magnificent pre-revolutionary monuments in the Peloponnese are preserved, such as the Tower of Tsikaliotis (1808), the Mansion of Polytimos (1816), and the Mansion of Katsikoggianis (1807), located on the north end of the settlement.