The monastery is 17 km away from Leonidio, on the road to Kosmas.
The creators and first monks of the monastery were Kallinikos and Dositheos, who were slaughtered by the Turks.
Due to the prosperity of the monastery, the Ecumenical Patriarchate declared it Patriarchal and Stavropegiak and received privileges and tributes as well as the obligation to pay tax every year to the Patriarchate.
In 1809, on the old church was built the present church, a simple rectangular, without a dome, celebrating the Assumption.
It has no hagiographies, but its carved, walnut iconostasis is a jewel.
Icons of the icon are works of art by renowned painters.